1.11.2007

House Warming Banana Muffins

The plague of rotten bananas. Everyone party in our house currently buys their own groceries; hence, we usually end up with surplus bananas which is good for the baker in the house and usually for everyone else.

However, these bananas would were meant to reside in a different house- my oldest and dearest friend's new apartment. I know that if were moving (and I will be soon), I'd need some homey baked goods to relieve the stress and lighten the overwhelming load of move-in chaos. When I walked into to her new, large apartment still in shambles from move-in day, I knew the muffins would definitely provide relief, even if just for those few minutes while savoring one of these golden,moist muffins.

Exhausted, I made a trip to her late Tuesday to deliver the muffins; this was after waking up at 2:45am to work at the Bakery; did I mention I'm working for free?

The muffins were nice; very moist, golden and chock full of banana however I realized afterwards there were no added spices to these banana muffins which I do prefer but a lot of banana muffin recipes do not have any. So, I'll leave that up to your discretion. The walnuts are also a great addition; I did half with and half without - I like to try to accomodate everyone's tastes. These muffins are incredibly moist; I could imagine a nice pinch of nutmeg to skyrocket there delicious factor then it would be the ideal banana muffin, in my humble opinion.


Banana Nut Muffins
Yield - 12 regular muffins
adapted from Simply Recipes

3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 - 1 cup chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven 350 degrees. In a large bowl mash bananas and add melted better and mix well.

Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add baking soda and salt and mix in.

Add flour and mix until just incorporated. Fold in walnuts if desired.

Pour mixture in to prepared muffin tin. Bake 25-30 minutes. When toothpick inserted in muffin center comes out clean, muffins are done! Cool on wire rack.

I also forgot to mention that these muffins are so easy to prepare. In a pinch for a gift or you simply want fresh banana muffins in the morning, these muffins would be a great go-to for impromptu events calling for muffins.

4 comments:

Brilynn said...

Well I'm not moving, but you're welcome to bring me some banana muffins anytime...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lauren,

There are some bananas in my freezer begging to be used. I really liked your recipe and my muffins would definitely have a pinch of nutmeg or a dash of cinnamon.

Tks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I too am plagued by rotten bananas. I just can't seem to keep up with them! There are actually a few sitting in the freezer right now. I should go try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell them baking. Yummy!